Pages

Saturday, August 26, 2017

August MiniMoFo: Outdoor Eats

Hi everyone! Zach and I went on a roadtrip to St. Louis, Missouri, so we could be in the path of totality for the solar eclipse. The day before the eclipse, we had both lunch and dinner outside, so it was perfect for August’s MiniMoFo!


We arrived in St. Louis around lunchtime on Sunday, so we stopped at the all-vegan Seedz Cafe.



I ordered the rice & beans, and Zach got the last BBQ black bean burger. It was such a good lunch, but so filling that I could only eat half, so I had the leftovers for dinner the next night. Zach enjoyed his burger, but he said it was a bit spicy; I tried a bite & it was good.


Rice & beans, with a spicy, cheesy sauce, as well as salsa and avocado and greens.

BBQ black bean burger, with tortilla chips and salad.

For dinner, we went to the Bike Stop Cafe in St. Charles; the menu is mostly vegetarian.
 




I ordered the vegan hummus sandwich (“Hummina-Hummina” as it’s called on the menu, haha!), and it was really good. It was served with veggie straws.


On Monday, we watched the eclipse in a field at Cliff Cave Park. It was a really hot day, and at the beginning of the eclipse, in between taking peeks through the telescope, I hid under my umbrella to keep out of the sun. Once it got nearer totality, however, it started to cool off so I didn't need the umbrella anymore. The shadows began to look all weird, and then it got darker until it looked like sunset all around us; at the moment of totality, we could look directly at the eclipse. It was so neat, and everyone in the park was cheering, and then just like that, it was done. The sunlight returned; we looked through the telescope a bit more as the eclipse tapered off, and then we packed up. It was such an incredible experience, and I’m so glad we went!





Bonus outdoor eats: Today we went to the Bethlehem VegFest, and I got the buffalo chik’n & mac-n-cheese bowl from Freakin’ Vegan. The buffalo chik’n was a bit spicy, but it was so, so good!


Here’s Buttons sharing the bed with Leela and Daisy...



Peace. :)

8 comments:

  1. That mac and cheese bowl looks uh-mazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks; it was quite delicious! :)

      Delete
  2. What a fun adventure!! Very cool that you got to be in the path of totality and what amazing meals you had along the way. I have to agree, the mac and cheese looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah; it was so nice to find good vegan meals while traveling! :)

      Delete
  3. So cool you got to see the eclipse! I didn't get get to see the partial one here in NJ. :( Oh well, there should be another in a few years and I can catch that one!

    And that mac and cheese bowl AH-MAY-ZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer; I'm so glad I got to see it, and I'm with you in looking forward to the next one! :D

      Delete
  4. Sounds like such a fun trip! We missed out on the eclipse all together down here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan; I had a great time! It looks like you'll get to see an eclipse from Australia before our next one here! :)

      Delete