Pages

Friday, April 28, 2017

April MiniMoFo: Asparagus, Mushroom, & Parsnip Stir-Fry

Hi everyone! April’s MiniMoFo theme is “in season,” so I picked three (asparagus, mushrooms, & parsnips) from the Seasonal Food Guide for PA in late April. I used the asparagus nut stir-fry recipe, replacing the peppers and walnuts with parsnips and mushrooms, and serving it atop farfalle pasta. This was my first time having parsnips, but I wasn’t really a fan. (I steamed them for a bit, then added them to the stir-fry to cook further.) All in all, though, it was fun to try something new (and seasonal), and the rest of the dish was pretty good!



Here are Buttons and Cringer sharing the couch...



Peace. :)

6 comments:

  1. Yum! I can't believe it was your first time trying parsnips! In my family they're an absolute staple at Christmas dinner, roasted in maple syrup. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds perfect; I will have to try them that way! :)

      Delete
  2. Mmm I love parsnips, asparagus and mushrooms. As Jenny says above parsnips are really good roasted. You cut them like fries and toss them in olive oil and maple/ agave then roast for 20-30 mins. Totally different taste to steaming if you ever fancy trying them again. They are in season here and bargain prices so we are eating lots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice; I will definitely try them roasted! :)

      Delete
  3. I have only had parsnips a few times and like everyone above, I roasted them and remember enjoying them. I think roasting is the way to go for certain veggies. Like I will never eat a steamed Brussels sprout, but roasted I can't get enough.
    The dish looks gorgeous though! For me asparagus is a definite no, but i always enjoy the look of it!
    Cute sleepy kitties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roasted it is, haha! Brussels sprouts are another vegetable I still need to try roasted, so thanks for the reminder! :)

      Delete